Losing the charger to your Canon camera can be a setback, but it’s not the end. There are alternative ways to supply power to the Canon camera. In this article, we’ll discuss the different ways on how to charge Canon camera without charger.
Before we move on to the methods, you must check if your camera model has a USB port or not. Most of these alternative methods rely on having a USB port. This is rarely an issue as USB ports are standard on newer models but be sure to check.
How To Charge Canon Camera Without Charger | Effective Methods
We’ll primarily discuss four alternate charging methods. Alongside the method, we will list things you will require for it to work. The methods are:
Replacing The Battery
- A set of AAA batteries that meets the power rating of your camera (usually 9 volts)
If you happen to have lost your charger and your camera is close to dying, the best option you can is to replace your batteries with a new set. This is usually expensive depending on the batteries your camera uses; however, this is the only method you can reliably use without needing a USB port.
Usually, this method isn’t used much because it can be quite expensive and not a very good alternative. Most people resort to replacing the batteries and then looking for a new charger to replace their lost one.
The steps for this method have been summarized below:
- Turn your camera off
- Locate the part of your camera that houses the batteries (usually at the back)
- Carefully open it (some require a screwdriver to open it)
- Remove the old batteries
- Place the new batteries one by one, making sure the connectors are set properly
- Close the hatch
- Turn the camera on
You simply need to make sure that the batteries are properly placed.
Using A Wall Plug
- USB wall adapter
- Properly sized replacement cable
If you happen to lose your charger, you can still charge your camera with the wall plug. You simply need to convert the port using a USB wall adapter and use an appropriate cable to connect to your camera. This will help draw the power to your device.
Using this method, you will probably take 3 to 4 hours at most to fully charge your phone. As long as you have a USB wall adapter, this method will reliably work.
The steps are summarized below:
- Turn the camera off
- Locate the USB port and insert the cable into it (remove the rubber cover if needed)
- Locate the wall plug and plug the USB wall adapter into it
- Now connect the cable with the adapter
- An orange LED lighting up usually indicates the camera is charging
- When the LED is green, you can remove the cable
Make sure the adapter is secure, to ensure smooth charging. This process is most suitable for the best webcam for Octoprint.
Charging Using A Power Bank
- Suitable power bank
- USB cable
Another method is simply using a power bank when you go out for taking moon pictures. A power bank is essentially a portable charger that can be used for many devices like mobiles and cameras. Power banks can be used without any outlets and only need a USB port, so they are very convenient and a great way to charge your camera in case you lost a charger.
Keep in mind that your power bank needs to have suitable power to ensure your camera is properly charged. Look out for power banks rated at 30,000 mAh, as those are usually enough for canon cameras.
Follow the steps below to properly utilize this method:
- Turn the camera off
- Keep the camera close to the power bank and attach them with a USB cable
- Check to see if the power bank is on or not
- Note the LED of your camera or any other indication to show that it is properly zjudging.
- Disconnect after your camera has finished charging
It will usually take 4 hours or so to charge by this method.
Charging With The Use Of A Computer
Finally, the last method of charging a Canon camera is by simply connecting it to a computer via a USB cable. This is one of the easier and reliable methods, but the problem with this method is that it is very slow to charge. You simply have to use a USB cable to connect to the computer.
Make sure to set the options in your camera to “charge only” instead of “file transfer,” or else you’ll find out that your camera isn’t charging.
After reading this article, you should be able to know how to charge Canon camera without charger. Charging with the help of a computer is incredibly slow so your best option is to have a spare power bank available with you.